Thursday 8 December 2011

Schools out ...........

School is out for the year for our girls, today is their first day of holidays, and it does feel great to be done with school lunches and homework for the summer.    Yesterday the girls took their teachers some end-of-year thankyou gifts ...............  home-made vanilla essence and some sweet Candy Cane peppermint bark. 











(Oops -I forgot to take another pic of the essence with it's labels added)














Yesterday I received some very exciting mail, this is my finished Stitching Round the Block piece home from Leanne.  She had a kind friend who did the stitchery part of the final round, and they both made a wonderful job of the hexies and the butterfly stitchery.  We all stitched our own centre block, Janis completed my Round 2 and Raewyn Round 3, followed by the final round by Leanne and her friend.    All the girls made a beautiful job of my block, so thank you ladies, and now I must decide how I'll finish it.  This is the project I showed the hexies for on my last post, which I have been terribly behind on getting done for Janis.  But it is a lot closer now than it was a few weeks ago Janis, I promise!

Just look at those teeny tiny stitches!

I heard from Annette from Jindis Cottage a couple of days ago that my SSCS gifts had arrived safely at her house.  So here is a pic of the little ornament I sent her, this is French Country Star by JBW Designs from the 2010 JCS Ornament Issue.  I stitched this over one and it is tiny.  Can you see the little motifs within the star - reindeer, trees, stars and hearts?  So that is the first half of the SSCS revealed................. I'm still waiting every morning at the mailbox for my own exciting parcel to arrive. lol
And a side-on view to show how I finished it..........

As I am finishing this post, the girls have almost got the Christmas tree up, they've been begging me for a few weeks to get it put up.  I've made them wait, as we've had builders here for the last three weeks, and I wanted to have a proper clean-up before we got all the Christmas decorations out.  So, tonight is their lucky night and it's starting to feel a little like Christmas round here!

I hope you're all enjoying the festive season ...... till next time ........happy stitching ..............Nicky

19 comments:

Susan said...

Happy holidays Nicky. Your ornament is lovely, especially the trim.

Siobhán said...

Oh my goodness, that quilt is beautiful! I love the embroidery on it. Great job on the ornament!

Anonymous said...

what a lovely block Nicky and boy i love that decoration those 2 tiny deer,just stunning,well done

Annie said...

That block is just gorgeous! So much detail and interest. Your ornament is so pretty with that trim. You know I have that issue and never noticed the little motifs embedded in that star!

Yankee Valley Stitcher said...

I love the star ornament, and the trim is adorable :) Happy Holidays..

Wendy said...

Your round the block is beautiful Nicky and the decoration is gorgeous, such beautiful tiny stitching! Nice teacher gifts too. Enjoy the holidays.

By Hoki Quilts said...

As an ex teacher I can tell you that those goodies will be very much appreciated, especially being home-made - I used to just love little gifts from students, especially the edible type.
Such tiny stitches you have done sweetie and so beautifully too - a gorgeous ornament.
Happy Christmas xx
hugs - Miche'le

Chookyblue...... said...

enjoy the holidays.........

Lyn said...

A lovely ornament you made, such tiny stitches...enjoy the holidays...like you I'm checking the mailbox, hoping....

Fiona said...

Your ornament is just so lovely and dainty....
lovely block.. mine is still sitting waiting to be made into something!!
Hugz

Michelle said...

Olivia finishes school on Wednesday... 3 more days to go...
Your quilt looks lovely... precious!
Oh my that stitching is tiny... and you've made a lovely job of it!
Have you had the builders in for anything special???
Enjoy your weekend...

Hanne-Kristine said...

Happy holidays Nicky :o)
I really love that little quilt. Is this your own pattern or is it bought? Beautiful

All the best Hanne-Kristine

Carol said...

Oh, your ornament and quilt finishes are so, so pretty, Nicky! I just love the trim on the JBW star...

Hope the girls enjoy their holiday and you enjoy the break, too! Merry Christmas!!

Raewyn said...

All so beautiful Nicky! Your SRTB turned out well :-) It was a nice project inspite of our trials and tribulations!!love the ornament you made too - beautiful stitching on it and love the braid (?!) around the centre. Have fun with that tree!

Tatkis said...

Congratulations with the summer holidays Nicky!
And I'm stitching now exactly the same star (love your finish!) and the LHN snowman you sent me :)

Hugs,
Tatyana

Jindi's Cottage said...

I just love the ornament Nicky...it is Gorgeous!!! Thought I had put your blog in my reader but apparently Blogger thought otherwise...grrrrr...definitely fixed now!!! Your block is beautiful...have fun deciding how to finish it...Enjoy your holidays.

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

oh do use this time to enjoy your children whilst they are s young, it is such a fabulous time, even tho it is a hectic one. Good work there Nicky, well done you!

Aunty Bee said...

Lovely work Nicky. All the high schools have finished but the primary's finish next week. Enjoy the holidays, I hope you and the girls have a good time leading up into Christmas.

Josie said...

Your ornament is stunning! It's so beautifully stitched and the trim is just gorgeous. Lovely block too... I love that pattern.
Yummy goodies for teacher too... I'm drooling!

Related Posts with Thumbnails