Monday 31 January 2011

Should I be committed?

Or maybe "I should be more committed"  or even " I need to commit to less". LOL

Committing myself to new things is never a problem  - it's just finishing them that takes me a bit longer!  So after committing to finishing some WIPS this year, and actually crossing some things off my list it's probably about time I committed to starting some new ones too.   :-)

And so.................... here is some of my weekends work.     This is one of the cutest little birdies I've seen in a while ........ and I'm a sucker for anything with little birdies.  This BOM is designed by Little Miss Shabby and the blocks are being released on the 1st of the month.  I bought a charm pack of Moda's Hunky Dory by Chez Moi a while back and when I saw this BOM decided it would be perfect.  So now I've bought my first ever Jelly Roll - if I'd known they were so easy to work with I would have started a long time ago. LOL.    I've always admitted to being a slow learner!
Isn't this wee fella a sweetie?
All these pics are clickable, cos I know you'll want to have a closeup look, then head on over and download the pattern  and go running for fabric and thread immediately(and I wouldn't blame you)
I enjoyed the cutting and piecing so much, I made up the next block ready to go too - and that is not like me - normally my sewing machine and I have a very delicately balanced relationship.  The original is stitched with 6(!) threads of DMC, but I'm sticking with my normal 2 threads for a softer look.

I've also confirmed today to Chookyblue that I'm keen to carry on with this years SAL for Tis the Season by Natalie Bird.  It doesn't start till March, so I have exactly a month to get lots more done on A Gardeners Journal.   Of course, the realist in me knows it won't be finished by then, but a girl can dream.  And thankfully, my Vignette threads haven't arrived, so I can't rip into that one yet either!  A blessing in disguise, I think.

I hope wherever you are, you're not being blown away or fried in the heat, sounds like weather extremes all over the world at the minute, we've had a very windy, wet few days, so my gardening days turned into stitchy ones - it's not all bad then!

Thanks for visiting today..................happy stitching......Nicky



24 comments:

Hanne-Kristine said...

LOVE your little birdie :)
Yes! All that bom`work...... got to love them, byt easier started than finished..... sight...
Hopefully I`ll get to finish one too this year.... ha ha ha
Hope you`ll have a great week.
All the best hk

Theresa said...

Love the colours of your Birdie Stitches Nicky - I've stuck with 2 threads as well.

Chookyblue...... said...

yep your should be committed..........just let me know where they are booking you in at cause I need to go there too...........lol........at least we could be together then.........lol........glad your continuing on with the new SAL..........I know you WILL get the GJ done cause i'll be on your case........

Siobhán said...

ACK! Thanks for posting that, it gave me the kick in the pants to remember these beautiful designs. I love your choice of fabrics, and the 2 strands looks nice and soft. Very pretty!

Oh, and I'm all about rewarding myself. Finish one thing, start five more. ;)

Annie said...

That is so adorable. What a cute idea for a themed quilt. No wonder you couldn't resist a new start!

Suburban Stitcher said...

cute! hard not to start working on those :)

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Its a gorgeous square that birdy is indeed a cutie! As is the darling snowman! And I love the charm pack you picked to go with them. LOVELY!

Tricia T said...

I will not look at Nicky's blog. I will not look at Nicky's blog. I will not look at Nicky's blog!! Don't *tempt* me with this!!! I saw it the other day and it is ADORABLE! If my willpower holds, I'll just watch you make it instead of making it myself!! :-)

Unknown said...

Oh so cute Nicky! Gotta say that I am a tad tempted, byt like you I would dearly like to get some UFO's finished this year. Ihave only ear marked one design as a must have... at the moment!!!

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

they couldn't possibly committ us and find a place big enough for us all, we are all the same when it comes to new projects! I am still thinking about Vignette, I have some of the lovely Sweet Broderie fabrics, and they stare at me every day just willing and tempting me, WICKED I say!

Michelle said...

That is so cute - love the fabric too!

Anonymous said...

Cute birdie and snowman!! Get cracking on that GJ!!!! ;) I'm doing TTS as well. Am looking forward to it. My Vignette threads arrived while we were away... so I've put them on thread cards and when I've finished unpacking from holidays I'll start tracing and stitching!! Hope yours arrive soon!

Katrina said...

ooohhh, so so cute Nicky! Had lots of wind up this way too, but today its a gorgeous still day. Enjoy your day :)

Karen said...

Nearly had coffee sprayed everywhere when I read your opening. I can soooooo understand the conflict.
I havent actually started my birdie yet but I plan on only using 2 strands or maybe a #8 perle. Love your fabric choice too.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Love your little bird...these are so cute..I need to add the blocks to mine...GJ...I have to get this one done as well....I have made a promise to Chooky...

Rowyn said...

I love the birdie and the snowman, they are so darn cute!

Sally said...

How cute are those two!!

Sue said...

The snowman and bird are adorable.

Jody Herbert said...

Love the birdie and snowman stitchery - very very cute and love the fabric you've chosen for the blocks too.

Raewyn said...

This does look like its going to be a gorgeous BOM - please don't talk about being committed, or we will all be there... I like the BE committed aspect best!

Grethe said...

Love it and your charmpack fabric looks super! I started on block 1 a fortnight ago,great to be stitching on grey. I have just downloaded block 2.(as if I don`t have too much at the moment) Happy Stitching to you!

Tatkis said...

So cute a block! Snowman with a bird is lovely :)

Best wishes,
Tatyana

Tania said...

You know you love it! Life is so, er, predictable without a few (billion) crafty balls in the air

Anonymous said...

hi Nicky I love your birdie stitches blocks, I am a total beginner when it comes to embroidery and sewing/patchwork, I have ordered some kona white cotton and have plenty of dmc threads as I cross stitch but can I ask you what needle I should use for the embroidery? I will be using 2 strands of thread

Related Posts with Thumbnails